Separation anxiety in dogs, especially your dog can be a devastating disorder.
You wonder what you’ve done that has caused your dog to become so anxious when you leave. More importantly, what can you do to fix it and make your dog feel better about being alone when you are gone? Before I talk about the 3 helpful tools, it’s important that you know where they fit in the process of modifying your dog’s separation anxiety.
The Process of Modifying Separation Anxiety in Your Dog
Modifying your dog’s separation anxiety is made up of 3 parts:
1. Rehabilitating your relationship with your dog
2. Reintroducing obedience training & empowerment training. Along with a consistent exercise program designed to reduce stress in your dog.
3. Methodically desensitizing your dog to your absence.
The most difficult and stressful part is systematically desensitizing your dog to your absence. This is a time consuming process that can stress your dog if you push too hard (required to stay alone longer than he can tolerate.) The process must be gradual and can take months and in some cases even longer. There are some tools to consider when you get to this step in the process. These can help your dog tolerate his time away from you much easier than he could without them. You should do your own research so that you are comfortable with the tools or products before you use them.
So Now Let’s Talk About the Tools to Help with The Separation Anxiety
Swaddling Helps to Calm and Relax Your Dog
- Just like moms with babies, swaddling your dog helps to calm and relax him but how can you do this when you are gone?
- There are two products that can assist: Thundershirts and Anxiety Wraps.
- These products are made for dogs to wear who suffer from separation anxiety.
- They are snuggley wrapped around your dog’s torso to simulate swaddling. Pressure can create comfort and relieves stress in dogs. At the same time it can provide a relaxing and calm feeling as he processes being alone for tolerable chunks of time.
Like I said, do your research to see if this is a product you feel comfortable putting on your dog.
Sometimes Natural Remedies Can Relieve Your Dog’s Anxiety
For years humans have taken natural remedies to cope with stress, anxiety, fear, depression, terror, panic. The list goes on. These natural remedies have been available over-the-counter for decades.
- One such natural and holistic remedy is Bach Remedies.
- The Bach Centre has developed remedies for other animals as well but focus on dogs.
- There is a special and specific line of holistic flower essences that are free of any preservatives.
- These are available in the vitamin section of most Whole Foods Stores and vitamin stores. Make sure you do your research and check it out.
- Given as directed, to your dog without the side effects of prescription drugs.
- In some cases prescription medication is also used to curb severe separation anxiety in dogs.
They Say Music Soothes the Soul for You, But What About Your Dog?
- Research proves that specific composed music, relaxes and lowers your anxious dog’s heartbeat. This creates a calm and relaxed dog.
- According to Dr. Alfred Tomatis much can go on “through a dog’s ear” with simple musical composition.
- Complexity encourages active listening while simplicity facilitates passive hearing.
- They used a solo piano because it scored the highest in every category for the deepest canine relaxation.
The music is so relaxing Leila and I bought an iCalmDog for us and our dogs! You’ be surprised at what music can do to soothe your soul and your dog’s.
Together We Can Raise A Happy and Obedient Dog
Jim Burwell, is and has been Houston’s most respected dog trainer for 30 years, serving over 11,000 clients. Jim works with you and your entire family, helping your dog be the best dog ever.