If Your Dog Pees When You Greet, Relief in 3 Tips
Beth said, “Bert, our dog pees with excitement when we first come home! We’ve tried everything and nothing seems to help.
Do you have a “Piddle Pooch” too?
If You always get a wet greeting, you’ve got to get past your anger to fix it
I’ll tell you as I told Beth, “Your dog is not doing it on purpose. It’s just an emotional response to excitement, apprehension or fear.
If you understand that, you’ll breeze through these 3 quick tips without getting angry or upset with your dog.
So here goes:
Recognize what’s going on when he pees as he gets excited. For example:
- Anyone faces the dog?
- Anyone leans over the dog?
- Anyone reaches to pick him up?
- Anyone scolds or raises their voice?
- When anyone gets excited?
- Do you have excited departures and homecomings?
Simply avoid doing these things that cause him to urinate.
Now You Know Why He Urinates When Excited, Let’s Get Down to Business
Fix it like this:
- Remove all signs of threats at those identifiable times.
- Avoid making direct eye contact during this process:
- When arriving home, ignore your dog for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, greet like this:
- If your dog submissively urinates when you approach, then don’t approach.
- Instead, squat down and turn sideways (no eye contact) and let the dog approach you
- Do not hold your hand palm down nor put it over your dog’s head.
- Let him approach you then only scratch under the chin “if” he approaches.
- If he wets, do not pet for about 3-4 days.
Meanwhile Build Confidence Through Obedience Training
Teach him a simple trick so that he can show you he’s glad to see you by performing a command or trick instead of urinating!
You might be surprised. Begin to do regular obedience training with your dog.
Remain calm during the process.
Your dog probably won’t pee while he’s focused on obedience training!
Now you can start enjoying your greetings like your friends greet their dogs.
Together We Can Raise A Happy and Obedient Dog
You got your dog for a reason. You wanted to share your life with a happy and loving dog. But now, your dog has big problems and life is not happy.
I can help you get that happy, well behaved dog back no matter where you live. We do private lessons in your home OR we can do private video lessons where geography is no longer a roadblock.